Code of Conduct
Everyone participating in the REFACTR.TECH conference, events and Slack community—including, but not limited to attendees, speakers, sponsors and volunteers at REFACTR.TECH, are required to agree to the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the event.
The Quick Version
REFACTR.TECH is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience and environment for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks, workshops, parties, social media and other online media. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
No weapons of any kind are allowed at REFACTR.TECH.
The More Detailed Version
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, ethnicity or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Offensive comments regarding a person's technology choices.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of 'dead' or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in public spaces and/or spaces where they're not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of sessions or other events
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- 'Reverse' -isms, including 'reverse racism,' 'reverse sexism,' and 'cisphobia'.
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you".
- Communicating in a 'tone' you don't find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
REFACTR.TECH prioritizes marginalized people's safety over privileged people's comfort and therefore we will not act on complaints regarding:
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, REFACTR.TECH may take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all REFACTR.TECH spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other REFACTR.TECH community members or the general public.
Reporting and Enforcement
If you are being harassed by a member of the REFACTR.TECH community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact us immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ConferencePlease contact any member of our organizing, volunteer or security team. Our team can be identified by their volunteer t-shirts and will be trained in how to address and report any incidents that attendees bring to their attention.
SlackPlease contact an admin or moderator (designated with a crown emoji “👑” in their status) via direct message.
If the person who is harassing you is a member of staff, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident.
All reports will be handled in the strictest confidence. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This policy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. We encourage other events to adopt (and enforce) similar policies by using and remixing ours.